Background

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Joyful Noise


I have been teaching 10 years. I have had lots of snow days in those years. Sometimes I thought I was going to have a snow day and didn't. Other times a snow day came without a flake on the ground. I have always enjoyed snow days. I know we have to make them up, it's just nice to lounge around on a cold winter day. Not to mention, I hate driving on snow and ice. But a few years back, snow days were unbearably quiet for me. I had a lot of time to reflect on the fact that I wanted to be a mother, and snow days gave me even more time, which I probably did not need. I remember one day in particular, I called my friend Brooke. Her house was chaotic. She had a toddler and a dog, and it was so loud I could barely hear her. We laughed about that on the phone, but when I hung up I wasn't laughing. I was brought to tears. My house was so quiet. The TV was on, but there was joyful noise missing. That noise, that many parents don't hear as joyfully as I did in that moment. I know Brooke hears it that way, but many don't. Today, Laney threw several fits. It was loud in my house this snow day. An easy day to get frustrated as a parent being cooped up. But, instead, I thanked God for that joyful noise. Because, someone out there would love to hear it. Someone wishes that she can comfort her crabby toddler. So, I will take this snow day. I will hold the memory of a crabby Laney near to my heart. I will thank God tonight for the gift. For the joyful noise I heard on this snow day!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love that you savor so many of the same moments I do! I know that by the pics we send back and forth all day long of the "noise" we love!
    And that is the sweetest face ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomeness. Total awesomeness. (I should probably have checked to see if awesomeness is even a word, seeing as how I'm commenting on a teacher's blog........*facepalm*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your posts even if I have to grab a tissue!
    This exact outlook got me through a lot of sleepless nights with Lily and Ella. I rarely got up to feed them frustrated-rather grateful that I had a baby to rock/feed in the middle of the night. All that waiting/praying/disappointment trying to have them makes their entire life so much sweeter!!
    Here's to lots of noise, laughter and many more fun snow days!
    ps...my girls would love to play with laney on a snow day-you are so close!!

    ReplyDelete